Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tor installation failed

Beans

tor installation failed

Tor instalation with Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS fails in Ubuntu software center

When trying to install Tor vwith the Torbrowser-lancher I see:

trying to download signature ( over tor)

And after that : Download error 404.

Is there something with a signature that needs to happen here ?

Hope to hear from you . Thank you.

Beans

Re: tor installation failed

You can get that error when the internet connection is bad or if connected to a server and the specific file can't be found. Some other reasons you can find with an online search. The link below has an explanation at the Wikipedia site. I'm using 20.04 and just installed Tor from the package manager without problems. Have you waited and tried multiple times?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404

Beans

Thanks but nothing works. Mirror sides don´t work eigther.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I've seen this on 22.04 reported here in UF.
    Would you please try:
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's|self.language =.*|self.language = "ALL"|g' /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/torbrowser_launcher/common.py
    Now try and launch torbrowser.

It might not matter to you but it is also available as a flatpak
    Code:
    flatpak list |grep torbrowser
    Tor Project     org.torproject.torbrowser-launcher      0.3.7   stable  system
    I prefer it.
    Last edited by 1fallen; March 12th, 2024 at 08:13 PM. Reason: add to
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Tried your command in the shell first it looked good. Installing started but then every time a crash happend. I tried several times.
    I can´t mangage to add the crash report here because i made a picture of it and it seems not possible to copy it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you don't mind I have a question or two to ask.
    1st. is tor really needed? And it might be at the heart of your current problem.
    The flatpak version of torbrowser is now maintained through the "torproject team"
    Code:
    apt policy tor
    tor:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 0.4.8.10-1
      Version table:
         0.4.8.10-1build1 100
            100 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble-proposed/universe amd64 Packages
         0.4.8.10-1 500
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble/universe amd64 Packages
    2nd.Are you opposed to installing torbrowser as a flatpak?
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Thank you for your remarks.
    If i acually need tor is of course the question.
    I guess i have to try the flatpak version of it then.
    How do i install the flatpak version ? I assume it is in the software center of Ubuntu ?

Beans

Okay, i installed flatpack and after this i managed to install tor browser on ubuntu based on the instruction for ubuntu.
    It is working fine.
    Thanks for your suggestion !
    Hope on ubuntu 24.** release it will be working out of the box.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nice, but i still don't know why you had problems with the .deb version on 22.04, but to answer your query for 24.04
    Code:
    apt policy torbrowser-launcher && flatpak list
    torbrowser-launcher:
      Installed: 0.3.7-1
      Candidate: 0.3.7-1
      Version table:
     *** 0.3.7-1 500
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu noble/universe amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Name                  Application ID                  Version  Branch      Installation
    Flatseal              com.github.tchx84.Flatseal      2.1.1    stable      system
    MakeMKV               com.makemkv.MakeMKV             1.17.6   stable      system
    Freedesktop Platform  org.freedesktop.Platform        23.08.13 23.08       system
    Mesa                  …reedesktop.Platform.GL.default 24.0.2   23.08       system
    Mesa (Extra)          …reedesktop.Platform.GL.default 24.0.2   23.08-extra system
    nvidia-545-29-06      …p.Platform.GL.nvidia-545-29-06          1.4         system
    openh264              ….freedesktop.Platform.openh264 2.1.0    2.2.0       system
    GNOME Application Pl… org.gnome.Platform                       45          system
    Greybird GTK+ Theme   org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Greybird               3.22        system
    Greybird-dark GTK+ T… org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Greybird-dark          3.22        system
    KDE Application Plat… org.kde.Platform                         5.15-23.08  system
    Firefox               org.mozilla.firefox             123.0.1  stable      system
    Tor Project           …torproject.torbrowser-launcher 0.3.7    stable      system
    VLC                   org.videolan.VLC                3.0.20   stable      system
    Both the flatpak and .deb work as expected on 24.04.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1fallen; March 14th, 2024 at 10:18 PM. Reason: add screenshot
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans

I don’’t know either , i had a package that was missing , i installed it, but it did not resolve anything.
    In the end no installation in ubuntu 22.04 lts
    Thank you for letting me know that on ubuntu 24.04 it works fine.
    I do plan to use 24.04 lts myself also when it is available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast